Monday, October 14, 2013

Healthy Homemade Apple Sauce

It is that time of year! Apple orchards are filling with people who end up leaving with 20 pounds of apples- but what in the world to do with ALL of those apples?
.... Make homemade apple sauce of course :)

I have to give props to my nursing buddy Lisa , who made this for me last year and ever since I've been planning on making it myself! It is healthy, super easy, and you can alter it to make it taste just as you like! You can also eat it hot (tastes desserty!) or cold (perfect side with lunch).

Healthy Homemade Apple Sauce
What you will need:
-Apples
-Cinnamon
-Honey
-Golden Raisins
I used about 6-7 apples varying in size and ended up with about 4 servings. The apples get all mushy and delicious when they cook, so I suggest putting in a few extra apples than you expect! (Plus, it makes delicious leftovers for lunches or tomorrow's sweets-craving!)
The only ingredients you need- easy!
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.Peel and slice your apples into bite-size pieces. Toss them  into a 9x13 pan.
Next, cover the apples with ground cinnamon, a drizzle of honey, and a sprinkle of golden raisins! Honestly, there is no right or wrong amount. You can add more as it cooks if you feel that it needs more flavor, but adjust this to your liking!
Heaven on Earth, huh?

Now cover your pan with some foil and let these babies cook! Once again, cook it to your liking. The longer you cook it, the softer and mushier the apples get. I like mine with a few little apple chunks, so I cooked mine for about 40 minutes. 


Stir it about every 15 minutes, and why not have a little taste test each time :)
the final product
My house smelled incredible, my taste buds were so satisfied, and I cannot wait to eat this again tomorrow, YUM! I also decided to try mine with a baby scoop of lowfat vanilla frozen yogurt... the melty combination of warm apples and froyo was to die for.
So go enjoy these beautiful fall days, enjoy a healthy apple alternative, and hit the pavement for a run in this perfect running weather!
Lets get healthy!
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment