Saturday, January 19, 2013

Southwestern-Stuffed Peppers

I am always stoked to try new healthy recipes, and this one was so good that I had to share! (Thank you instagramfitness for sharing this recipe!) Speaking of instagram- follow me (morganberg14) for some daily motivation :)

Okay, back to the delicious peppers! The original recipe called for brown rice, which I chose to substitute with quinoa since it is packed with protein and deliciousness! This was my first time making it and it turned out delicious! Just beware- 2 cups of uncooked quinoa turns into like... 5 cups cooked quinoa (the recipe only calls for 2 c. cooked, so I have TONS of leftovers). Lesson learned. I also used closer to 3/4lb. ground turkey breast (make sure you get turkey breast, otherwise it is mixed with white and dark turkey meat). You could even cook another pepper (5 total?), as I had a good amount of leftover "mix".

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers 
Ingredients:
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-1/2 lb. Lean Ground Turkey Breast
-1 c. chopped onions
-1 T. Low-Sodium Taco Seasoning
-16 oz. Jar of Salsa
-2 c. cooked brown rice (or quinoa)
-3-4 Bell Peppers
-1 can Black Beans drained
-1/2 c. Corn
-Shredded cheese (I omitted this)

Directions:
-Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the peppers in half, cut the membranes out, and lightly coat the peppers with olive oil and roast in a baking dish (9x13 worked great for 4 peppers) for 20-25 minutes (until cooked through). Remove from the oven and allow them to cool so you can handle them.
-While the peppers are roasting, cook your ground turkey and onions. Also cook/boil your quinoa or rice! Add cooked rice, black beans, corn, cooked meat, taco seasoning, and salsa into a bowl and mix.
-Spoon mixture into each half of the peppers, put them back in the baking dish, and bake for another 15-20 minutes. If you are adding cheese on top (I did not), sprinkle the top with shredded cheese right before removing from the oven!
Now, ENJOY!
How mine came out :)
These were so easy to make, and still tasted great as leftovers! I wouldn't do anything to change the recipe. Everything in them is so healthy, you can't feel guilty about eating these for one second. Can't wait to make them again!

Morgan

4 comments:

  1. With this recipe I will be fit for success...great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great recipe -- I love stuffed peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were sooo good! I seasoned my meat a good bit - with Worcestershire, salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder, oregano, and cayenne. To make it healthier, I cut out the rice and used a pound of meat, and I made my own taco seasoning. I have a good bit of leftover stuffing, and am going to use it to make taco salads with avocado dressing this week!

    ReplyDelete