Monday, October 1, 2012

Protein Pancakes!

For a while now, I've been wanting to try protein pancakes... I sure do love breakfast and protein, so I thought these were the best of both worlds :)

After spending some time on Pintrest, I found a recipe that I really liked. It was the only recipe I found that didn't use soy or whey powder. Usually I only keep Muscle Milk on hand, and I didn't want to have to buy a tub of whey powder JUST so I could satisfy my craving for protein pancakes!

Here is the recipe!

Cinnamon Protein Pancakes
1 c. egg whites
1 c. oats
1 c. fat-free cottage cheese
Cinnamon
Truvia or Sugar
(I halved this batch by using 1/2 c. of each ingredient. This yielded 3 pancakes, which gave me a full meal and a snack)
After gathering all of your ingredients (mine already happened to be in the house), mix it all into one bowl. I used about 1 teaspoon of regular sugar and sprinkled a good amount of cinnamon in!
umm...
When I put the ingredients in the bowl... I was kind of grossed out. It looked a lil nassssssty (haha). However, after throroughly mixing it for about 3 minutes, I was happy to find all of the ingredients happily mixing together:
MUCH better!
Next, heat up a flat skillet on medium heat with a dash of non-stick cooking spray. Once the pan is hot, pour a little mixture on! Like I said, I divided my "half batch" into thirds, yielding 3 pancakes. PS- don't make them too big because they can be hard to flip!
After cooking it for about 5 minutes, flip it to the other side. I found that these don't quick as fast as normal pancakes do. You don't want them doughy and you want to make sure the oatmeal cooks well. If its on medium heat, burning them shouldn't be an issue, so let em cook!
done! now get in mah belly
After both sides cook, enjoy! I decided to get all crafty and added a banana to my second pancake. Do this immediately after you pour the batter onto the pan so that they can cook in!
nummy naner
And that is it! Easy as pie. I put the leftover batter into the fridge, and it still tasted great the next day.

Now, I have to be honest. While I thought the pancakes tasted really good, I was CRAVING syrup... it sure is weird to "indulge" in syrup-less pancakes, so I decided to put a tiny amount of light maple syrup on mine. This made is perfect, and I didn't have one ounce of guilt :)

Plus, you are packing tons of protein into your belly between the egg whites and fat-free cottage cheese, and hardly any fat. Oatmeal is much better than flour, so I suggest fully enjoying these babies!

This is the website I found them from, there is also a video if you REALLY need help making these: http://leanbodylifestyle.blogspot.com/2011/07/cinnamon-protein-pancakes-no-protein.html

Enjoy :)
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment