Saturday, May 5, 2012

Another Episode of "What Did Morgan Eat Today?"

A few weeks ago, I posted a "diary" of everything I had eaten throughout the day as a way to give my viewers healthy meal and snack ideas and to show that it IS possible to eat healthy, no matter how busy you may be! I got some great feedback, so I thought I would make this a more frequent habit. I am such a firm believer that eating well and exercising can make a person feel 100% better, inside and out, compared to eating gross, greasy foods and laying on the couch 24/7. It isn't an easy transition to make, so if you are trying to adapt to a more nutritious lifestyle, take it one step at a time. Drastic changes will only cause you to "hate" your new "diet" unless you ease into your new lifestyle. Being healthy requires lifestyle changes!!! Exercising once a month or eating healthy only half of the time will not lead to true body changes. Health is a LIFESTYLE, not a HABIT! I know you can do it :)

With that in mind, here are some ideas of (mostly) nutritious snacks and meals. In fact, this is everything I ate on
Friday May 4th!
Yum in my tum. I start every morning with a cup of coffee, complete with one teaspoon of sugar, a dash of skim milk, and a tablespoon of Fat-Free Hazelnut Coffee Creamer!
Breakfast always includes a banana :) Only one of course!
Finished breakfast with my favorite Chobani! Perfect before the gym!
Muscle Milk after my workout! Fav treat :)
a late lunch included 6 T. egg whites, spinach, salsa, sante fe turkey, and 1/2 c. grapes!
snack time! carrots & hummus!
after my Target shopping trip, I indulged in my favorite Luna bar!
time to prepare dinner! pasta night before my race in the morning :)
gotta add a chicken breast for protein and spinach for a veggie!
the finished product! whole grain pasta, 1/2c. sauce, spinach, 1 thin chicken breast, and 1 T. parmesan cheese!
I was craving something sweet, so pineapple was my dessert!
my totals for the day!
I would consider this a great day of eating! I eat small but frequent meals to keep my metabolism going throughout the day. My workout consisted of running 2 miles, stretching, rehearsing my dance routine, and an ab workout. Pasta for dinner was great "race fuel" before my 5k the following day, and fruit is a great alternative to a dessert. You can still get "sweet" without all of the fat and calories.... although sweets are my favorite! Moderation is key :) My stomach was satisfied throughout the day, I was very energized, and didn't even need a nap (for those of you who know me, that is a big deal!)

Totals for the day:
Calories: 1492
Fat: 33 grams (13 Saturated)
Carbs: 198 grams
Sugars: 102 grams (I still need to work on this, but I'm sure it could be worse!)
Protein: 109 grams! WOHOO! Finally almost reaching my goal of 120 grams/day!

To cut back on sugar, I could have eaten less fruits, or been more "choosey" between the yogurt and the granola bar. Unfortunately, I require sugar in my coffee, and I'm 100% okay with having that be my "added sugar" for the day. Coffee is too delicious :) It looks like I "overdosed" on vitamins, which again, I'm okay with! In case you didn't read my "My Fitness Pal" blog posting, the last picture is of the iPhone app i use to log my eating habits once in a while!

Hope you have some new ideas! Get creative and enjoy the food you put in your body!
Morgan

1 comment:

  1. Your body turns every carb you eat into sugar as you digest it anyways, so you should be less concerned with sugar and more concerned with total carbs and the nutritional density of the carbs you are eating. the fruits you ate provide your body with a ton of beneficial nutrients and vitamins, where the pasta and yogurt provide a low level of benefits in your body (in addition to being turned into sugar as you digest them). also, 1 teaspoon of sugar is only ~5grams of sugar and 15 calories, so taken in the context of sugar from that luna bar and yogurt, is pretty negligible.

    also, i know muscle milk tastes great, but that stuff is completely overpriced compared to other protein powers out there. maybe now that you've taken the leap to muscle milk, you can convince yourself to try something that costs half as much and is just as effective next time.

    heyooo healthy people!

    ReplyDelete